Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Laura Hunter's Prize Winning Lasagna


Kimberly's Comments: I've known Laura since we were both shrieking 7-year-olds scrambling around the YWAM base on Lantau Island, Hong Kong. I think I've written to her more than I've spent time in the same time zone with Laura, but there is something unique about friends that you've known as long as your memory will stretch. We saw each other during one blazing hot summer in 1997, touring around with the Mercy Ships and singing and dancing. Our parents did a better job at keeping in touch, and I would learn about her life's adventures through them. Facebook has rekindled that friendship, and she happened to follow my blog when I had a drawing for a free baking dish from Cookware.com. Since she's such a champion, she actually blogged twice about the event. Oh, and she graciously agreed to submit this blog entry as a followup for the prize. Thanks, Laura! The recipe and photo of the recipe are Laura's. Check her blog for more creative recipes and excellent photos!

Laura Hunter

Ever since the first Tupperware party to the first infomercial for the perfect knife set people have been on the continuous hunt for the perfect new addition to their kitchen. We want the latest and the greatest, but I find it hard to constantly sift through the ads and the reviews to find what I actually need. We all have different needs in the kitchen and what might be an amazing find to one person is dull and useless to the other. Over Christmas I won the Paula Deen 9" x 13" Stoneware Baker from Kimberly King Schaub’s blog, Cooking with the Schaubs. And I must say that without even knowing that I needed it I found something that is perfect for my kitchen. The greatest part of this pan is how evenly it seems to cook my food and how easy it was to clean up. The other day I made lasagna, and after the second day with leftovers in the fridge I thought I would have to soak it for a while before I could clean it. I was happy to discover that with a little bit of soapy water the dish cleaned right away, what a refreshing change. It is fun when little surprises come your way that you didn’t even know you wanted.

Lasagna
1lb of ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
5 oz can diced black olives
2 garlic cloves minced
1 14 1/2 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 tbsp dried Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 package of whole wheat lasagna noodles
1 beaten egg
1 15 oz container of ricotta cheese
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
6 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese

For sauce: In a large sauce pan cook beef, onion and garlic until meat is brown. Drain.

Stir in canned tomatoes, sauce, Italian seasoning, black olives and pepper into meat mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile cook noodles according to package instructions being careful to cook until tender but still firm. This is key to not over cook the noodles so that your lasagna has body to it. Drain noodles and set aside.

For filling combine, egg, ricotta and the 1/4 c. of Parmesan and set aside.

Spread about 1/2 cup of sauce at the bottom of your pan and then layer with your cooked noodles, trimming or overlapping as needed. Spread 1/3 of sauce and then 1/3 of filling over noodles, top with 1/3 mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers.

Bake at 375 in oven for 30-35 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

* Special note from Kimberly *
Some stoneware pans, the unglazed pans, don't always require soap to clean them. Pampered Chef stones will actually be damaged, so be sure to check your manufacturer's labels.

No comments:

Post a Comment