Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Pamela's Gluten Free Scones



The original recipe is from Pamela's Products, who have single-handedly supported my gluten-free transition.  Marion, the rep I'm in contact with, has researched recipes, sent samples (many many samples), and supported the beginnings of a gluten-free group in Pueblo.  Many thanks, Marion!  Get your own recipe at www.pamelasproducts.com.  

As usual, I can't leave a recipe alone, so I make a lavender white chocolate chip (inspired by Hopscotch Bakery) by substituting the chocolate chips for the cranberries and adding 1 tsp lavender buds.  

This time, I also added lemon zest, but I think the scone may taste sweeter for that reason.  I reduced the sugar by 1 tablespoon.  The scones spread out quite a bit, even though I had reduced the milk (I used rice milk) by 2-3 tablespoons.  The dough is quite thick - probably almost thick enough to pat into a disk and slice rather than drop onto a baking sheet.  

Cranberry Orange Scones
2-1/3 cups Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix 
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1/2 cup cranberries
4 tablespoons butter 
1 egg, beaten 
2/3 cup milk 
1 tablespoon orange zest
Yield: 10 to 12 scones
Mix the dry ingredients together. Cut in the butter using two knives. Add the milk and beaten eggs. Mix together with a fork. Dough will be thick. Drop large, tall dollops of dough (scones will spread when baking) onto lightly greased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 375° oven for 15-17 minutes.
Variation:
Currant Scones: Replace cranberries with 1/2 cup currants, orange zest is optional for this recipe.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you had a blog :) I didn't know Josh had to eat gluten free either! (Have fun with Quinoa! Woo!)

    ReplyDelete